Sunday, February 10, 2013

Vent

Ok, so I'm going to try to keep this in check.

I get so tired of people assuming that people that get genetic testing would abort their baby.  I get genetic testing and I would NEVER abort my sweet baby.  I would never love my baby any less.  Aborting your child isn't the only reason why people choose genetic testing!  I get tired of the answer "No, I don't get genetic testing because I'd never abort my child."  Do you really think that's the ONLY reason people get these tests done?  If so, you are wrong!  I get it done because I want to be prepared.  I want to learn about my child.  I want to have everything necessary for him.  If he has something operable, I want to have the best surgeon waiting for him after I deliver him.  None of those reasons have anything to do with loving him less or not wanting him.

Yes, there are false positives.  Guess what!  There are also false positives on routine blood work at the beginning.  I went 3 weeks in my pregnancy with Caden thinking that I had syphilis.  An STD that could deform him or worse kill him.  That was a false positive and that was from mandatory blood work. Also, in that same pregnancy, Caden's head measured abnormally large at the mandatory, routine 20 week anatomy ultrasound.  Again, I went 5 weeks wondering what my little baby had wrong with him.  Nothing.  Just a bad measurement.  I've had genetic blood work testing with all 3 and never had a false positive. 

I don't think any less of you because you choose to opt out of testing.  You shouldn't think any less of me because I choose to have genetic testing. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you are a great mommy. Probably one of the best I have met. I also think some people need to stop being so judgmental of others and the choices they make.

    ReplyDelete